Volunteers are a treasured resource at PAWS! Our dedicated volunteer workers provide many and varied support services to the animals and staff at the shelter.
There are many different ways you can help out at PAWS—working with animals, helping out in the office, organizing or staffing special events…the list is endless! There are volunteer opportunities available for a wide variety of ages and abilities.
Volunteering at PAWS is one of the most rewarding ways to spend a few hours each month—or each week. Please download and complete the Adult Volunteer Application or the Minor Volunteer Application. Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, please visit the calendar on this website to see when orientation is scheduled. No need to sign up — just be at the shelter at the time shown on the calendar. Orientation takes place at the PAWS shelter — 2790 Cincinnati-Dayton Road, Middletown, Ohio. Please bring your completed volunteer forms with you.
Areas where you can help
- Working with dogs—we have many dogs who would love to get out and take a walk, which gives them a chance to get some much-needed exercise and attention. In addition, we need volunteers to help bathe dogs before they go out in the community (for satellite adoptions or special events).
- Working with cats—cats need love and attention. Simply holding, petting, or brushing our cats provides them with the human contact they need to be properly socialized.
- Helping the shelter staff—volunteers are needed to assist with various tasks around the shelter. If you are interested in helping with animal care or office administration, we can use your help! We also need help with repairs and maintenance of the shelter (painting, lawn maintenance, etc.)
- Satellite Adoptions—volunteers are needed to take animals available for adoption to various venues (PetSmart, special events).
- Special Events— We are always looking for volunteers to help plan, organize, and work at our functions.
- Technical expertise or special talents—volunteers with special talents—such as computer expertise, grant writing, etc., are always in great demand.
Please note that volunteers must be 16 or older to volunteer at the shelter without a parent or guardian. We welcome children age 14 and 15 as long as they are actively participating with their parent or guardian, where their parent or guardian is also a volunteer for the shelter.